Monday, July 30, 2012

the season of black grapes

Its so much fun having a two and a half year old.  There is never a dull moment, but with never having a dull moment there are many situations I just don't know how to handle.

Henry has always been sensitive in some ways, and opinionated in others.  Even as a baby he would never let many people hold him, instead wanting mama or daddy.

Now being in a season where he has an imagination and an opinion these characteristics have deepened as well.  Here are some recent examples.

I make sure to always buy black or red grapes from the grocery because if we get green Henry can see the "flaws" or small brown spots and wont eat them.  He examines every grape before putting them in his mouth making sure they aren't "dirty."

Lately Henry has been asking me to play with him.  I am more than happy to do so, but every time I sit down and grab a car and try to participate he says "No Mommy!! Thats not how you do it!!!!" The cycle continues of him asking me to play, me trying and not doing what he wants and getting upset.

Henry did something the other day that reminded me he was getting bigger.  I made a little sad face and said "Henry I don't like that you are getting bigger so fast! I want you to stay little." This made him laugh and excited that he is getting bigger.  I heard him calling for me yesterday morning so I went in his room to get him.  As soon as I opened the door he said "Mama, I got bigger!!! You can cry now."

We were outside yesterday and I told Jordan to help me with something.  As I went inside Jordan told me Henry said "Sorry Daddy that Mommy keeps bossin you." Where does he come up with this stuff?! haha.

Henry is still the sweetest sweetest big brother.  He is on a kick now where he wants Hosanna to watch him do WHATEVER he does.  He will say "Mom make Hosanna look over here." "Mom, make Hosanna say 'cool' as I run across the room." It thrills my heart that he loves making her laugh and wants her to be a part of the things he does.

Its been so nice getting back settled into our life and routine.  At first when we got home Henry kept saying "I dont like our house!! I want to go to Gammy or Grammy's house."  I know he is just two and trying to verbalize his feelings but it made me sad! I try to make our home a place of fun, creativity and peace and it upset me that he never wanted to be here.  Now he likes hanging out in his underwear and never wants to go anywhere...





Hope all of your summers are going great!!! xo.


3 comments:

Rachel Jones said...

Sooo sweet!!
I have had a hard time picturing another one coming along and how that will work but reading this makes me so excited for Lucy to have a little sibling!!

Sweet Mama K said...

That is so sweet and funny! It's so neat that their personalities begin to develop at such a young age. It sounds like you are doing a great job shaping his and learning his strengths and weaknesses!

Unknown said...

oh my goodness! i'm crying.

1. i don't eat green grapes for the SAME reason! And still to this day, I'll study a bowl of grapes for a while before grabbing on - if it has a single soft spot or mark? i won't eat it.... my parents used to call me the princess and the pea. OOPS.

2. please explain that sleeping in the chairs pic, i'm laughing and i don't even know the story.