This might be bad but I am hardly trying to explain Easter to Henry. We talk about Jesus every day in our house, so its not like Jesus is a new name or God is a new concept.
However, I just don't even know how to begin tying in the Easter baskets, eggs and bunnies to Jesus raising from the dead. I got an Easter basket as a kid and thought it was fun and the Easter bunny came to our house. Our little family has decided to do the Easter basket but opted out of the visit from the bunny.
Here is how one of the conversations went this week.
:::Driving in the car....:::
Me: "Henry, Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead. That is why on Easter you get an Easter basket."
::::Silence.....
Me to Jordan: "He doesn't get it...."
Jordan to me.... "Um yeah thats because there is nothing to get."
Another conversation was very similar but I tried to go into more detail. The more details I tried to give, the sillier getting gifts or treats sounded. ...which leads me to wonder why I am doing the basket in the first place... oh well.
I feel a huge sense of relief that I can talk to Henry about Jesus everyday. I can try to explain things whenever the Holy Spirit prompts rather than trying to tie it to eggs and bunnies. Because we have been saved from so much, the thankfulness and awe of Jesus is something we experience regularly. I am so glad we can experience him everyday.
And on a sweeter note... Henry was so excited tonight when his aunt came home with a donut for him.



5 comments:
I think you are doing a great job and Henry doesn't need to understand the connection between the two yet. The "fun" Easter stuff is just for fun. And it gives kids a little incentive to remember that Easter is a very important day. Thankfully, due to your living out the faith, one day he will understand why it is so important :)
cute donut pictures! you are so right - it's more important to talk about Jesus every day than tie it i bunnies and baskets. i know your kiddos are seeing a living example of how much God's sacrifice means in you and jordan.
He's so cute and I love his round, chubby face! Get the Ressurrection Eggs. They are great and are meant for children. Nora loves opening each one and she has made connections for sure.
I loved this!!
Oh my gosh...I want to die because these pictures are SO cute! Are you kidding me? Could he be any cuter with that donut?
I totally agree with the Jesus and Easter Bunny connection. So hard to explain to little ones, which made me feel the same way as you. But I love all the fun holiday traditions, and love Jesus, so where does that leave me?
Our conversations with Ingrid were quite similar....which brings out the hilariousness of any holiday tradition I suppose.
So, at Christmas we chop down a tree, bring it inside to decorate, eat a ton of food, and buy eachother presents...all to celebrate the birth of Jesus. What doesn't make sense about that? Heeeheee...oh how funny we are.
Seeing you in July, right? And that little babe of yours, too?
Post a Comment