Well it is official. I gave Hosanna her first taste of formula today.
Let me start this story a month ago...
A month or so ago I noticed Hosanna started to get very distracted with feedings. She would latch and nurse for about five minutes on each side then pop her head off and sit upside down laughing. It was so cute to see her so happy and curious but for a week or so she was not getting adequate feedings. I took her to the doctor for her routine checkup and was SHOCKED when she weighed the exact same as two months prior. I think what must have happened was she gained some weight then lost it that week or so that she stopped nursing.
I also waited to feed her solids. She was close to seven months when I started them regularly. We had traveled a lot the past few months and I did not want to deal with the hassle. Her doctor and I decided to watch her for three weeks then come back in for a weight check. I took her in yesterday and she gained a pound and a few ounces in three weeks! Not too shabby.
The past three weeks I have pumped and fed Hosanna bottles except for her early morning feeding (she will nurse undistracted then). I used to pride myself in how I was a "cow" and always had enough milk to feed a village. Now whenever I pump I get three ounces exactly. This makes it very hard to store milk. If I pump between feedings I will get an ounce if that. So my days have consisted of me putting Hosanna down for a nap then, pumping so I will have a bottle ready for her when she wakes up.
Today I woke up with a bad cold. Hosanna only took short naps today and seemed more fussy than usual (cutting three teeth at once will do that to you.) I could tell she was hungry so I pumped and only got a few ounces since I just fed her an hour and a half ago. It left me in a place of frustration 1. Because I am sick of pumping. And 2. Because I want my daughter to get enough food.
I have read so many blogs of moms who drink water all day, take vitamins, and pump all the time to get their supply back up. I tried that for a few days and it wasn't me, and it just wasnt working! While I love giving my daughter breast milk, exclusively breastfeeding is not an idol to me. If the Lord for some reason is allowing breastfeeding to be difficult, I will stop.
I still plan to pump every three hours and feed Hosanna breast milk at every feeding. However, I am totally okay with adding some formula in the mix too. I was so excited to add the two ounce to her bottle before bed tonight. I plan on only adding formula to her night bottles.. but we shall see!
With Henry I exclusively breastfed him until he was fifteen months. I hope to go longer than a year with Hosanna as well. But like I said... stuff happens in life! I have a two year old I am chasing around... I have lots of other things on my plate.
I hope this can encourage some moms out there. Breastfeeding is a beast. It is hard work. My friend sent me some links on a conditions babies can get called "Content to Starve." Babies often times wont act fussy or hungry even if they aren't getting enough food. While I don't think this was the exact situation with Hosanna, it opened my eyes to see that I need to make sure I am taking care of my baby. A few days of laziness in feeding routines can set up a downward spiral where she is starving!
If anyone is struggling with breastfeeding please let me know! I have been there. Ive dealt with:
Latch issues
Thrush
Engorgement
Supply issues
Helping baby take a bottle from exclusively nursing
Biting
You name it.. ive probably dealt with it!!
3 comments:
I absolutely hated pumping, so if it came down to that or formula, you know what I would pick :) I see zero problems in doing both formula and breastmilk, that way you know she is getting the best of both worlds (full, happy stomach and natural immunities). Mama knows best!
I'm there with you, mama! We do it all and we've done it all. I have been through your list and had breast surgery too. The lowmilksupply.org is a great website. You are feeding your baby and that is what's most important. We've been doing half formula half breast milk the entire time. Jack was "failure to thrive" at one point and wouldn't sleep because he was hungry. Formula IS food and it's there if you need it.
love how you say "breastfeeding is not an idol for me" ... could not agree more! Seems to become such a milestone of pride, I know I've dealt with that over the last few weeks with all the issues going on. Thanks for the encouragement, friend!
Post a Comment