Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sabbath

Along with having a family vision, we also felt the Lord calling us to take a regular "Sabbath."  I know many of you do this too but this was something I always did half heartedly.  Not only did I not understand the real point of it, I didn't see the severity of keeping the command of "taking a Sabbath."

About six months ago Jordan started wrestling with the idea of making a Sabbath a priority.  My husband and I are very different you see... He is productive.  Very productive.  He feels very happy/accomplished when he is getting things done and doing things well.  He does well at work.  He is a good manager and people like him.  He is great at getting things done at home too.. (he does all the laundry!!) *I on the other hand LOVE relaxing and am okay with things not getting done ;)

Over time, Jordan realized it was really really hard for him to pull away from being productive.  He always takes at least two days off of work each week, but "to-do" lists and burdens of life hounded him.  So he decided our family would take a Sabbath every week.

What is a Sabbath you might ask?
Do you sit around all day and stare at each other? No.
Do you read your Bible all day? No.

For our little family taking a Sabbath means being free from the pressures of productivity.  Some weeks, our house might be messy, things need to get done, but we choose to relax and spend time with each other instead.

It creates a pause in the week and gives us space to slow down and invest in FAMILY.  And gain PERSPECTIVE.

We are free from doing the things we feel we HAVE to do, and get to do the things we WANT to do.  Some weeks it may be a project we work on together as a family.  Some weeks we stay in our pajamas all day and get carry-out.  Other times we may go out with friends.  We aren't rigid about it, but at the same time it is a PRIORITY.

I think one of the main reasons the Lord COMMANDS us to take a Sabbath is to teach us how GOOD He is.  He wants us to rest and enjoy Him and each other.  He also wants to teach us that we can trust him.  Though our lives are full, we can take a day away from our strivings and He will still provide.


It has also has been fun to see Henry get so excited for our Sabbath days! He knows its a day daddy and mommy won't be working at all which usually means an extra fun day for all of us!

Do you take a Sabbath? What does it look like in your family??











3 comments:

Sweet Mama K said...

I had to comment because we instituted "Super Sabbath" (as N calls it) about 2 years ago and it was one of the best decisions we have made as a family. N says it's his favorite day of the week and I also think the LORD has truly blessed us with extra time when we need it through-out the week (not unlike tithing=financial blessings). I'm so glad you guys have taken this venture.

Kathy Stone said...

Sure loved spending Sabbath with you!!!!! I love you all!

Katie said...

i love learning and being inspired by your blog posts. some day when we have kids, i hope to do a lot of things you and jordan are doing now :)