Friday, May 4, 2012

vision

For the past year now, our family has really embraced the whole idea of "vision."  After being married for almost five years now and Henry almost turning two we have realized that we lose sight of what is important unless we have intentional vision.

There is a "movement" of sorts happening here in Cincinnati where families are setting a vision for their family.  Not only is this a vision for right now in the present state we are in, but a vision we can pass down to generations to come.

Jordan and I brainstormed on what we want our vision to be.  What is important to us? On what bases do we want our family to function?? What are our priorities?  In later posts I would love to divulge into all these things but for now I will just talk about what our vision is.

Living for Jesus can be confusing.  There are so many decisions a family must make and there are often times no "right or wrong" answer.  Setting a family vision will help us in those grey areas where we aren't sure what to do.  Here is an example.

A pastor at our church had a family vision that was something like "Know who we are in Christ and love others."  Their family usually attended an outreach every Saturday morning and their little boy loved going every week.  This year the boy asked his parents if he could play soccer.  The soccer games would take place on Saturday mornings, at the same time the outreach took place.  They had a family meeting and talked about what they should do.  Neither option were bad so they talked to their son about what his priorities would need to be if he played soccer.  He would need to love and be a servant to the kids on his soccer team.

I am not sure what that family decided to do in that situation but I thought it was a super practical example of how a family vision would be helpful.

Here is our family vision: 
I wanted a creative way to display it in our house so we could remember it.  I contacted my friend MaKenzie and asked her to make a print that would look good in my kitchen.  I LOVE HOW it turned out.  I am also glad I reconnected with her because she and her husband ended up coming over for dinner and we had the best time! If  you are interested in getting a family vision print done I HIGHLY recommend using her!

Anyways, coming up with a family vision has inspired many other practical changes in our home.  *More to come!*
Has your family made a family vision?? If so what is it???
Here are some pics from lately! xoxo





I posted this last pic bc Henry loves helping around the house with whatever I am doing.  I was filling out the calendar for May and he wanted to help.  I thought about erasing all the marks he made on it but I love the way it looks now.  It reminds me that I am in one of the best seasons of my life I will ever be in.  Having a sweet two year old boy! :)

4 comments:

Sweet Mama K said...

We have a family vision too--for the same reasons you mentioned. We came up with ours when I was about 8 months pregnant and it basically defined what we wanted our future to look like, our kids to become, and our core values. It is something I will always treasure!

Katie said...

hey elizabeth! i LOVE the idea of a family vision. that is such a cool thing to establish now and guide your family in the future. the print for the kitchen is perfect too. i'm so proud of you!

michelle said...

I can't wait to hear about how your vision has caused practical changes in your family's life. I love the print!

Unknown said...

thank you for the shout-out, Eliz :o) so happy to be a part of your family's journey. We love you guys.

*~MaK