Jordan's family are campers. They love going camping and did it for weeks at a time. That was the way they spent their vacations. When we are out there this summer they all want to go camping for a few days. Yes, with the kids and even newborns.
I figured I better do a trial run before attempting it in the real "wilderness." Last Wednesday night we packed up all our gear and headed to my parents back yard. Henry was so excited. He kept running around in circles screaming "Im sleeping in the tent!" That was probably my favorite part of the entire experience; seeing how much fun he was having.
We pitched our tent, got everything set up then went inside my moms house for dinner, haha. After dinner we set up the fire and roasted some marshmallows. I have the BEST trick for roasting marshmallows. Smear peanut butter all over one then roast it. Its so so good. Jordan usually doesn't eat any marshmallows and he ate like 10 of em! Henry kept going back and forth between Jordan and I, depending on which one of us had the marshmallow that was ready to eat.
Hosanna is a great sleeper (like I have mentioned before). However she is not a great sleeper outside of her crib. She won't sleep in the car or in my arms, but as soon as I lay her head on the pillow she's out! So around nine, I put her in her pack-and-play in the tent. We cleaned up our fire and mallows then it was time for bed. Honestly, thats the reason I don't love camping... its so much work. I felt like the entire time I was just trying to make sure everything was set up or cleaned up (and I was in a backyard.)
We went to bed at 10 and Henry did great... fell right asleep. Jordan and I followed his lead and were out in no time. 12:30 rolls around.... Hosanna starts crying. I nurse her, and she is wide awake. I try to put her back in the pack-and-play and she starts screaming. I look inside at my moms house and all the lights were on.. they hadn't even gone to bed yet! It was a little chilly.. and pretty uncomfortable... so I peaced out and headed inside.
Jordan said Henry did pretty well the rest of the night. He woke up at 4:30 and wanted to get in Jordan's sleeping bag with him. I got up with Hosanna at 6:30 and went out and peeked in the tent. Henry was just getting up and was happy as can be.
It took us a few days to recover from the lack of sleep but I am glad we did it. As I said before, I don't love camping, but I like it. Hopefully it will go over better in Oregon, or Hosanna and I will be checking into a hotel ;)
Henry as he just woke up :)

1 comment:
cute family picture of the four of you!
Post a Comment