Wednesday, March 3, 2010

freedom

I am inspired to blog about freedom from talking to a friend this morning.  Our church is doing a "Freedom" series along with 60 other churches in Cincinnati.  Along with the Sunday morning talks, we are assigned homework along with meeting in a small group.  

My friend was sharing with me this morning how she is still struggling with an issue that has been a thorn in her side for years now.  Lately she has been specifically asking the Lord to give her "freedom" in this area.  Ever since asking that, her struggle has been more intense and she has been tempted more often.  Rather than doubting God because her struggle did not go away, she believes God is WANTING her to work through it... deal with it head on... with His help. True freedom is not just forgetting your struggles and God taking them away like a magic genie who accepts wishes.  

Instead He is an intimate Father, Lover and Friend who wants to work through our struggles with us.  Here is an example of what I am trying to say...
A friend of mine (different friend) had a porn addiction.  This caused him to feel so much shame and guilt in his life.  One night he was on the internet and chose to go to a sketchy website.  A thought came into his head that he should invite the Holy Spirit into his time looking at the website.  As he was looking at the porn, he felt God's love over him and he began to weep.  He realized his addiction stemmed from loneliness and self hatred. The struggle from that point on became a lot less burdensome.  There was a realization that God could be with him in the MIDDLE of his lowest points.

I think the "traditional" legalistic way Christians think is that we should be sinless.  As I am learning and growing, I think my goal in following the Lord is INTIMACY.  Inviting Him into EVERY part of his life.  Being FREE to fellowship with Him whenever and despite whatever I am struggling with.  The "sins" I am struggling with will then decrease because my heart is connected to the Lords. 

I hope that makes sense. I am not the best writer, and trying to type deep thoughts while nursing a baby is a bit tricky.  I pray all of you will find FREEDOM through being intimate with the FREEDOM giver!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I loved that! Thanks, Elizabeth.

Monica Denise Kateri said...

this is beautiful and so profoundly true. thanks for sharing your wisdom. :)

Unknown said...

Eliz, never say you are not a great writer. Just keep being you! I posted earlier - i just realized it never went through!

I feel so encouraged after reading this - especially after hearing about the friend you were talking to this morning - i got chills. God is SO faithful - even when life and He seem to defy logic.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I love how the Lord reveals truth to you. You're so great.