Monday, June 21, 2010

Photograph: Nick Graham/AP and Tiffani West-May/AP
During a huge storm last week, a local monument nicknamed "Big Butter Jesus" got struck by lightning.  This was very big deal around these parts and for some reason has become controversial to some people.  Many people believe God "hated" the statue so He struck it down to show how He disapproved of it and the people in the area. Other people I have talked to said they think it got struck to show that Jesus is coming back soon.  Also this monument catching fire has caused people to gossip and slander the pastor and his wife.. digging up past personal business about her and her family.  

Here are my thoughts regarding this.  It is so interesting to me how ANYONE who has a passing thought about something, feels like they have the right to spread it around and say "it is what God thinks."  Dont get me wrong.. I believe God speaks today.. but I dont believe we have the right to share our assumptions and thoughts and declare it as God's truth.  

Did I think Big Butter Jesus was necessary in front of a church? No... Would I rebuild it?? No.  Do I think it is a waste of money? Yes.  But I am not a member of that church.  I am not on that eldership board.  I do not make the decisions on how Solid Rock Church spends their finances.  Why would I waste my energy being worked up about something that does not involve me in the slightest? Or why would I take it getting struck down and relate it to the pastor's wife and her personal matters?  

I am sad that so many people pass judgement on something that does not involve them.  I do think there is one valuable thing we can take from this:

In storms.. lightening is drawn to metal.. especially  if it is sticking up into the sky.  If there is flammable substance around the metal, it will usually catch fire, causing the object to burn.  

Big Butter Jesus is in an open area, with its metal beams reaching up into the sky.. maybe that is the reason God "struck it down."

No comments: