Wednesday, July 7, 2010

3 Years of Marital Bliss


Photobucket

Photobucket

It amazing how time flies!! I have had so much fun being married to Jordan these past three years.  I have gotten to the place where I dont really remember not being married to him.  

In honor of my anniversary today, I leave you with my engagement story.

When Jordan and I were dating I told him casually that I did not want someone to say "I love you" until they could put a ring on my finger.  In my mind... telling someone you love them, then not acting on that was extremely selfish.  I also did not want to be one of those couples who talks about getting married months before even getting engaged.  I wanted Jordan to propose because he wanted to... and if I said yes that would be an added bonus.

We got engaged the summer after we got back from Nepal.  We had spent 4 months there doing missions work through an organization called Word Made Flesh.  All I can say is that trip really had a toll on our relationship.  It was physically, emotionally and spiritually draining and there were a few times over the trip where I thought for sure we would break up.  I was looking forward to the summer to relax and get our relationship on track.  



Jordan was done with school and was going to spend the summer in Oregon doing odd jobs to make some money.  I was going to spend 3 weeks out there to be with him, but also to get to go to his sisters wedding.  **Courtney look how skinny we were!!!! haha.**


Everything in our relationship was up in the air at this point.  Jordan was graduated and did not have a job lined up.  He could live anywhere, and did not seem to thrilled about living in the midwest.  I tried not to pressure him but instead wanted him to make these decisions on his own.  

Whenever we go to Oregon we always have a bonfire at this beach called Devil's Elbow (photo credit: wannabwestern on Hubpages).  One time, Jordan and I were looking up at the stars and saw a shooting star cover the entire sky.  It was still to this day one of the most amazing things I had ever seen! We then talked about how it would be incredible if there was a hammock on this beach! :) 

Okay so back to my story.. (Sorry if I am all over the place.. but HEY... its my blog I can tell it however I want.)
It was a few days before Courtney's wedding and Jordan asked me if I wanted to go to this hamburger restaurant with him for dinner.  Seeing how we both loved burgers I said "sure."  We went to the restaurant and watched boxing on tv... nothing out of the ordinary.  (Jordan told me that he couldnt take me to a nice restaurant before preposing because he said I would know something was up.  At the time we never went to nice restaurants.)  As we were getting ready to head back home Jordan had an idea... He said, "We can head back home if you want, but I just thought of something kinda cool we could do together."  He told me to close my eyes and he drove us to the beach.  Once we got there.. I was excited because it was one of my favorite places.  I was then extremely shocked and surprised to see there was a hammock on the beach.  

So we were sitting on the hammock for literally two seconds and Jordan asked if I wanted to take a walk... we walked about 200 feet away and Jordan got on one knee.  Any of you who know Jordan, know he is amazing with words.  I dont really remember what he exactly said, but I remember he told me he loved me and asked if I would marry him.

I responded with, "Did you ask my dad?" ...Keep in mind Jordan and I never spoke a word about marriage so I was hoping he knew it was proper to ask the father before proposing.  

So I finally said yes.. but I couldnt see my ring because it was too dark outside.  I didnt give Jordan the tiniest hint about what rings I liked.. he picked it out entirely himself which means a lot to me. :)  

We then sat back on the hammock and I really wanted to talk about everything leading up to this moment.. when he knew he wanted to marry me.. when he picked out the ring... when we should set a date... etc... and all Jordan wanted to do is go home because he wanted to tell his mom. haha.  

Jordan's dad was a huge player in the engagement.  He is the only one who knew Jordan was proposing.  All week they had codewords together.  John would ask Jordan if he was going to the bank today... if Jordan said yes... that meant it was the night the proposal was taking place.  
John set up the hammock on the beach and kept guard while we were there to make sure no one else was on the beach at the time.  

So we got back to Jordan's house and everyone wondered where we had been... when the asked us what we had been doing... Jordan responded with "Getting engaged." 

I am in LOVE with Jordan and my love story.  I love how we were before we were dating.  I love how we were while we were dating.  I love how we got engaged.  I kind of love our engagement (I say kind of because this was probably the hardest point in our relationship) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE being married to Jordan. 

YAY for three great years of marriage! Love you Jordy!

5 comments:

Katie said...

aw, happy anniversary elizabeth and jordan! i love reading your proposal story :)

Unknown said...

I love you two!!! + Jordan: good job on the proposal!

michelle said...

what a fun story. Thanks for taking the time to write it out! Happy Anniversary.

Kathy Stone said...

What a fun post!!! I loved hearing the story again! I love you guys!!!!

The Caswells said...

That was such a fun night! I remember it so well. What a surprise it was to all of us! *Yes, Elizabeth...we look SO skinny in that pic!*