For most wives, this means their husbands will be MIA on Sundays. They may be physically present in the home, but mentally they will checked out. Not only will they love watching the games on Sunday, but they will also have a laptop on hand, along with their cell phone. Every five minutes they will either be texting the guys in their league or clicking "refresh" on the updated score.
As being a woman (and a wife) who participates in fantasy football, I thought I would give out some of my "wisdom" (NOTE: Use the word wisdom loosely) on how to get through the season.
This year, Jordan and I were debating if we should even do fantasy football. In previous years we both spend entire Sundays watching football. We both really enjoying watching, but know with a baby, our lives and priorities needed to change. So we considered not doing it at all to be the solution.
Both Jordan and I then realized how it is okay to want to participate in fantasy football. In order to have a good team we do not NEED to watch three games a Sunday. Instead, this gives us a perfect opportunity to show self control and put our family time before football.
I talk to so many friends/wives who HATE fantasy football. They feel like they lose their husbands on Sunday and think time as a family comes second fiddle to the NFL.
Here is how Jordan and I communicate and get through the "dreaded" fantasy football season.
Before the season started.. I talked to Jordan and communicated my expectations. I expect that we would watch one game a Sunday. This would help us prioritize which game we would really want to see, and allow us to plan our days accordingly.... Because I am the one that doesn't want to watch football all day, I will take the initiative to plan any other family activities I wish to do.
So many Sundays, I am irritated with Jordan because he is watching football all day. I tell him to get up and do something, then he will say, "Fine, what would you like to do?" I have nothing in mind so he ends up continuing to watch sports while I am still irritable.
As a wife I want to like the things my husband enjoys. At the same time.. I want use to take full advantage of our weekends as a family. I dont want Henry's memories of mom and dad to be us sitting on the couch watching TV all the time. As a family we need to make conscious efforts to make good use of our time.
So wives.. all that to say.. this season does not have to be bad.. communicate clearly with your spouse before the season starts!! :)
2 comments:
you should write a book called "Spouses for Dummies" and put in little tid bits like this in the book...you'd sell millions.
brent's in 3 leagues this year - he's really stepping it up! i'm hoping not many games are broadcast in the caymans :)
Post a Comment