Thursday, November 12, 2009

adventure to get the breast pump

So it is a bit controversial whether or not it is "sanitary" to use a used breast pump.  I saw no problem with it.  The analogy I keep telling people is that we drink from thousands of different cows' utters.  What is the difference... its not like my baby is going to be suckling from another woman's breast.

So I decided to buy a used breast pump off of Craig's List.  I got the top of the line pump for only 80 dollars.  (They can retail at a few hundred).  So I took a little road trip to good 'ol Kentucky to pick up my used breast pump in a Walmart parking lot.  Let me tell you, I felt like I was buying illegal drugs or something.  It seemed so wrong, I kept looking around for cops.  I had my friend Chelsie come with me... you know after the Craig's List killer and everything I didnt want to get hacked a month before my baby is born.  (Jordan could not come with).  

So we are in the parking lot, circling... looking for a green Hyundai.  Twenty minutes went by and there was still no Hyundai in sight.  I am getting a bit ticked because I drove 30 min away to then get stood up and still I do not have anything to pump my milk with.  

There is a McDonald's across the street from Walmart, and a woman in a green Hyundai pulls out of McDonald's sippin on a supersized coke.  Well Chelsie (being the amazing, outgoing redhead she is) starts honking my horn and waving at the lady.  I am so embarrassed I am like hiding my face.  

Come to find out, my breast pump donor works at McDonald's and was leaving for the day and forgot she was selling me the breast pump.  Chelsie honking at her is the only reason she then pulled into the Walmart lot to give me the pump. PTL for redheaded awesome friends and how outgoing they are!!!

So here the three of us are.. in the parking lot while she is showing me how to attach the pump and make it work.  I kept looking at her strangely and really thought to myself.. Do I want THIS woman's pump.  I was trying to figure out if she was sanitary. haha.  Needless to say, I bought the pump!

When I got home Jordan was determined to make sure the pump worked.  (We have been scammed one too many times and it has left us paranoid).  So we hooked up all the tubes and bottles and Jordan attached the pump to his boobie.. It was so funny to see his nipple getting suctioned! Even a little milk came out!! (haha jk!)

Anyways.. all that to say: I am a proud USED breast pump owner!! 

4 comments:

Kathy Stone said...

Elizabeth ....you keep us laughing!!! :)

Amy Holmes said...

I had a used breast pump and NEVER had any issues! The only difference is that mine came from a girlfriend of mine, but either way, I still wondered about it too. In the end, it worked exactly like it needed to and I was so blessed to have gotten it!

The Caswells said...

That is such a funny story! I love it!

Unknown said...

haha