So for those of you that know me.. you know I love reading people's blogs. I like reading friends blogs, acquaintance's blogs and I love reading stranger's blogs. I think blogging is a fun way to express one's self along with being creative. Often times it is easy to read people's blogs and think about how wonderful or fun that person's life is. I look at other people's pictures and think to myself about how certain women look like they are such amazing moms. I look at other people's kids and think how cute they are or how I would like to have a lot of money to dress Henry like them. I justify these thoughts as harmless, but at the same time realize they consume my mind frequently.
Jordan and I are participating in a five week marriage course through our church. As the speaker was talking he said something that really stuck with me. He told the audience to not look at him and his wife and compare our marriage to his. He then said how it is not healthy or wise to compare our "inside" with his "outside". I dont get to see him and his wife interact daily, I dont know how the "inside" of their marriage works. Instead I can only see the "outside" or the external parts they allow me to see.
This helped me to realize that I can enjoy peeking into other people's lives by looking at their blog or facebook account... but I now realize I am only PEEKING in. This is not a full reality of what their life is like. Which in return allowed me to realize my life is better than great! Even if Henry doesnt wear designer baby jeans.. or I dont have pool parties with my kid every day!
5 comments:
Elizabeth - That is really a good word!
Also, I love the picture!!!! Can I have one?
amen momma! :)
New follower, sent from the coconut robot!
Hi Elizabeth! Ever since we "re-connected" at Kacia's wedding last summer, I have been reading your blog & absolutely love it. I enjoy how candid & honest you are! And seriously funny! But what you have said here resonates with me & encourages me to know that I'm not the only one who deals with this. I do a lot of comparing & it consumes way too much of me sometimes, but, I too, am working on it. Thanks for reminding me that I am just "peeking" in on people's lives the majority of the time! Thanks for sharing! You're a blessing.
That was such a groundbreaking point - although I am single, it is so applicable - I feel like I am often comparing myself to other people's "outside" which is unfair and irrational thinking. Thank you for sharing that thought.
Post a Comment