Tuesday, May 11, 2010

how Carolyn experiences freedom...

I am more than HAPPY my sister Carolyn decided to turn in an entry to my freedom question.  Carolyn is one of my favorite people.  Shes hilarious yet knows how to live an authentic life for the Lord.  I love who she is an am so glad she is my sister.  In a few weeks she will be home for the summer!! I cant wait!




I have experienced freedom lately in the letting the Lord change me.  I'm always trying to change myself and a lot of that has to do with deceptions I think about the Lord... that He won't provide, that He isn't all good, or that He doesn't see me as pure and lovely.  The verse that taught me most of this is the first part of Ephesians 2. I would type it out but I don't have my Bible with me, but that is it.  

There is so much freedom in recognizing who God really promises He is and how He sees me.  I can see lies breaking off of me that I have believed for so long. I have lived so much of my life on this freedom meter that goes back and forth from living so recklessly that I sin on purpose because I know God will forgive me, to the other spectrum on the meter, a life of legalism tiptoeing around, trying my best to not do anything wrong and be sinless out of fear.  Both of these put God in a weird box and I miss out on so much. 

 So this freedom pendulum flies back and forth and is RARELY in that middle place that it should be.  That place in the middle sees this life as an adventure that allows me to know God more through anything.  I have seen the Lord give me freedom through the weirdest things, and that is why it is important to me to keep my freedom meter in a good place.

 I think a most recent example is feeling freedom in singleness, especially coming upon my college graduation. I am so excited for my future because I feel so free that I can go wherever and do whatever. In my old way of knowing things I would either become like Mother Teresa and become a missionary or party my life away like Paris Hilton...  That is how my freedom pendulum sways, so dramatically, that I will be on one side of it, notice how I am living and then make a change to the other side. Those lifestyles aren't terrible but God has much BIGGER and BETTER things for me, when I let him be the freedom giver.  When I think about graduating school I feel like I am holding the world in open hands because there are so many things God can direct me to! So whether I go to hair school, swim with the whales at Sea World (I don't want to do that at all, but it seems fun come to mention it!!), or live with my parents, I know that the Lord will be there and be teaching me. So my prayer is that this adventure of mine will be directed by obedience and by the Holy Spirit!  Not a future that makes plans and asks the Lord to bless them, but one that doesn't make plans and sees the Lord blessing me everywhere. What an exciting adventure, huh?

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Your sister is beautiful! Great post!